Thursday, October 13, 2011

Roasted Tomatillo Salsa

It seemed like such a good idea at the time.  The Holidays were coming, and I was running short on time in finding a present for my sweetheart of a husband.   The Winter blahs were hitting me already, and I began to dream of summer Saturdays, strolling down the block at the Cityseed Farmers' Market.  Aha!  I thought.  We'll get a CSA share for a local organic farm and have a reason to go there and relish the sunshine, people-watch, let Q run around in Wooster Square Park.   Dogs, squirrels, other kids... it was a perfect vision.  Sign us up! 

Then, Spring came and the bounty began.  With lots and lots of greens.  So many we could barely keep up eating them.  Scapes, which we'd never used before like scapes and other, as my husband put it, "tops of things" managed to get into our box each week.  We were a bit befuddled, but kept trying to integrate these farm fresh ingredients into our week's food.  Who knew how truly wonderful really fresh potatoes and onions were?  Us!

But then, toward the end of tomato season came a bag of tomatillos.  We literally had no idea what to do with them.  They're like tomatoes with Japanese Lantern plants around them.  Pretty.  But... do they taste like tomatoes?  We bit into them.  Nooooo, not tomato-ey.  Tart! Lemony! Many tiny little seeds... and there's a wierd waxy texture to the tomatoes once you take the husk off.  Not sure I liked it, to be honest. 

But the tomatillos kept coming each week! 


 

So, I was thrilled when we found a recipe for Tomatillo Salsa on Weelicious.com! 


So easy... it's just 3 ingredients, ok 4 if you add a little olive oil to the pan.  Chop a large onion.  Crush a couple cloves of garlic.  Peel a bunch of tomatillos.  Broil on a foil-covered cookie sheet (one that has a bit of a lip) for 10 minutes.  Once it's cooled off, put in a blender.   And... oh my goodness, dig in!
Let's just say, I no longer fear my CSA box. 

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment